PLHealth.org also provides a site-specific search engine:
A VOICE for Health & Wellness (2010 - 2018)
Selected Health-Related Articles from the Port Ludlow Voice
Compiled by the PL Health & Wellness Group
Click on MONTH and scroll
to desired page of PDF file.
Search Alternatives: Should you be looking for a specific article, topic,
name or keyword (such as "stroke") and are not sure when it was published,
you can also use the powerful and VOICE-specific Search Engine.
00Search boxes are provided on each of the online pages of the VOICE
(such as here).
The search results provide access to the cover page of the respective VOICE
issue and then quite often directly to the location of the search term. If the latter does not work, you still have the internal "Find" modality of your browser (e.g. under "Edit" in Explorer, Firefox & Chrome) to find the specific location within the PDF document.
The directory (below) provides the titles of the articles, their location (page number)to scroll to within each issue as well as likely key words or the name of the author
to use for the search engine if you wish to do that in lieu of scrolling.
- July 2018
- May’s Rabid Bat Stats Highest in 20 Years, p.10
- JHC Receives 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award, p.11
- Jefferson County Food Safety Awards, p.12
- Get Help to Quit Tobacco, p.12
- Emergency Management Welcomes New CERT Coordinator and Leadership Team; by Danille Turissini, Director, Port Ludlow Village Council Emergency Management, p.28
- June 2018
- Investing in Our Community (New doctor at the JHC Clinic) (pp.5-6)
It has been almost a year since Jefferson Healthcare opened the new clinic location at
89 Breaker Lane. The grand opening party in August was just the beginning for
the new clinic. In January, Dr. Shannan Kirchner and Wes Schott, ARNP, welcomed Dr. Laura Wulff to the practice team....>
- Alzheimer’s Association Support Group, (Port Hadlock Community United Methodist Church) (p.9)
- Claudine Roesler Bequeaths Nearly $1 Million to Medical Foundation (Harrison Bremerton and Jefferson Healthcare, Port Townsedn) p.9
- Jefferson Healthcare Act FAST Stroke Awareness Education (p.11)
- Diabetes Education Recognition (p.11)
- Survivors of Suicide Support Group (p.13)
- Jefferson County Board of Health Honors 2018 Public Health Heroes (p.14)
- Caregiver Shortage Crisis (p.16)
- Village Council (p.29)
The PLVC Health and Wellness committee noted that Jefferson Healthcare and PLVC will be partnering to provide seminars on orthopedic
care, strokes, and cardiology in the coming months. Seminars will alternate between Beach and Bay Clubs....
- Disaster Hors d’oeuvres Provided by Danille Turissini, Director, PLVC Emergency Management (p.29)
- Jefferson Healthcare Building Siding Project Complete (p.30)
- May 2018
- Jefferson County to Start CERT Training, p.8
- Mental Health Issues in the 19th Century, p.9
- Need Medical Equipment? p.9
- UBER comes to Port Ludlow, p.10
- Hospice Foundation Breakfast p.10
- Foot Care Program. p.10
- Village Council April Meeting Summary (p.29)
- PLVC Health and Wellness Committee is now partnering with Jefferson Healthcare
to sponsor programs and seminars to inform the community on subjects such as cardiology, orthopedics, and strokes.
- April 2018
- Expanded Services for Port Ludlow Clinic, p.9
- Earthquake Emergency Services, p.290.
- March 2018
- Meet Peggy L. Schafran, p.6
- Interactive Discussion on Advanced Care Planning. p.10
- Get Ready. Get Nixle. Text 98365 to 888777. p.14
- Jefferson Healthcare Responds/New Clinic Structure, p.30
- February 2018
- JHC WellHearts Luncheon, (p.11)
- Alzheimer Support Available (p.13)
- January 2018
- ECHHO Needs Help! by Sarah McMahan, ECHHO Executive Director [Ecumenical Christian Helping Hands Organization] (p.9)
- Jefferson Healthcare Hosted Clinic Open Discussion (p.10)
- December 2017
- Join new clinic manager, Erin Coffey, to Design Your Care and Shape Your Clinic. This informal brainstorming session is an opportunity to recommend how the Port Ludlow Clinic can meet the community’s emerging healthcare needs.
December 6, 4:30 to 6:00 pm Bayview Room at Beach Club (Jefferson Healthcare Ad on backpage of Dec Voice!)
- Jefferson Healthcare Hires (p.11)
Amy M. Yaley has assumed the position of Director of Marketing and Communications at Jefferson Healthcare....
Caitlin Harrison has assumed the position of Chief Human Resources Officer at Jefferson Healthcare
- November 2017
- Ecumenical Christian Helping Hands (ECHHO) (p.9)
- Health Care and Wellness Committee (p.13)
- Jefferson Healthcare Orthopedic Health Seminar (p.14)
- Running Out of DHMO Could Be Disastrous by Danille Turissini, Director, PLVC Emergency Management (p.26)
- October 2017
- Don't Push the Snooze Button: Think-Plan-Do! Repeat by Danille Turissini, Director, PLVC Emergency Management (p.4)
- Jefferson Healthcare Earns National Accreditation (p.6)
- Follow the ‘Three Cs’ (p.8)
- Production to Benefit Hospice (p.8)
- Alzheimer’s Association Hosts Town Hall (p.14)
- Health Care Directives: Choosing Your Own Path (p.15)
- September 2017
- No health items could be found
- Jefferson Healthcare to Host Open House for New Port Ludlow Clinic (p.9)
Jefferson Healthcare host an open house
celebration at the new Port Ludlow Clinic located at 89 Breaker Lane on Friday, August 18, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Dermatology Team Joins Jefferson Healthcare (p.31)
- July 2017
- Uncovering the Truth about Alzheimer’s Disease (p.5)
by Alex Sokoll, Alzheimer’s Association Communications and Outreach Specialist
- Clinic Scheduled To Open This Month (p.12)
- Jefferson Healthcare Earns Stroke Gold Plus Award (p.35)
- Jefferson Healthcare Upgrades Equipment (p.36)
- June 2017
- From the Editor’s Keyboard (p.4) by Beverly Browne, Managing Editor [Thank you, Bev, for many years of help getting the word out for the activities of our PLVC - Health and Wellness Committee. Your encouragement and editorial expertise and suggestions were much appreciated.
- CARE For Older Americans, (p.6)
compiled from AARP and Other Online Resources.
"More than 800,000 Washingtonians care for older parents, spouses, or other loved ones, helping them to live independently in their own homes. Many do complex medical tasks for their loved one with little if any medical training....
- Jefferson Healthcare Opens a New Clinic in Port Ludlow (p.7)
Jefferson Healthcare’s new clinic, located at 89 Breaker Lane, will provide expanded health and wellness services to the Port Ludlow community. Scheduled to open in June, the new Port Ludlow Clinic will continue to offer primary care, including blood draws, X-ray services, annual exams, and cold and cough care. Additionally, the Clinic will offer cardiology services and host visiting specialty care providers based on community need. Dr. Shannan Kirchner will continue to lead Family Medicine services, along with C. Wesley Schott, ARNP.
- New Resource Offers Mobility for Older Adults (p.7) by Barbara Berthiaume, Contributing Writer (Grab bars)
- Resources Available for Alzheimer’s Patients and Caregivers (p.8)
- PLVC Report (p.19)
Port Ludlow Associates (PLA): Diana Smeland reported .....
Jefferson Healthcare is working on the interior of the clinic. The opening date is not yet known. Exterior siding is being added. PLA has been talking to senior care providers to see if it is feasible to construct a facility in Ludlow that would accommodate independent and assisted living. Interested firms are doing due diligence. The company received 400 responses to their survey and thanks the associations for their participation. It is expected that such a facility would also attract residents from outside Port Ludlow. The likely location would be in the area now occupied by PLA offices. Zoning there is appropriate for the development of a facility.
- Zumba: What, Why, Where, When (p.28)
- Free Seminar on Degenerative Joint Pain (p.30)
- STEPUP Offers Special Training in Emergency Preparedness (p.30)
- May 2017
- Training in Adult, Child, and Pediatric First Aid Offered (p.12)
- PLA Considers a Senior Living Facility in Ludlow (p.13)
- April 2017
- Free Senior Fair Offers Helpful Information (p.7)
- Dr. Ann Hoffman, OB/GYN, Opens New Women’s Clinic (p.28)
- Public Health Hero Nominations Sought (p.29)
- March 2017
- The Five Second Rule (p.6) [food safety]
- Avoid the Medicare Hospital Trap (p.7) [inpatient status & Medicare]
- Arsenic in Drinking Water (p.8)
- Emergency Preparedness Presentation (p.9) [March 9, 1-3pm]
- Free Senior Fair Provides Essential Information (p.12) [April 29]
- Martha’s Book Club: Join us at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 14, at the Bay Club to discuss Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End .... (p.14
- Consider Using a Personal Trainer (p.32
- Free Orthopedic Health Seminar on Degenerative Joint Pai: Dr. Edward Eissmann, MD, FACOS, will present a free seminar on degenerative joint
pain and joint replacements on Thursday, March 23, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. in the Bayview Room at the Beach Club.... (p.36)
- February 2017
- Port Ludlow Dentistry Is
Environmental Star (p.9)
- Healthcare Foundation Hosts
Annual WellHearts Luncheon (p.33)
- January 2017
- Exercise - A Wonder Drug by Linda Karp, Contributing Writer (p.25)
- Free Chronic Disease SelfManagement Workshop (in Port Townsend) (p.27)
- Jefferson Healthcare Welcomes Two New Orthopedic Surgeons
"Orthopedic surgeons Edward Eissmann, MD, FACOS,
and Paul Naumann, MD, will join Jefferson Healthcare Medical Center’s Orthopedic Clinic.
Dr. Eissmann began seeing patients in December and Dr. Naumann will begin seeing patients in January, 2017.
Drs. Eissmann and Naumann are board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.“ [....]
- December 2016
- November 2016
- Being Mortal Screened at JHC (p.33)
Jefferson Healthcare will be hosting two free screenings of the PBS Frontline Film,
Being Mortal, [...] on Saturday, November 12, from 3:00
to 5:00 p.m., at the Port Ludlow Beach Club. Being Mortal is a documentary based on a best-selling book by Atul Gawande, MD...
- Free Seminar Explains Degenerative Joint Pain (p.33) [pdf]
Meet Dr. Edward Eissmann, MD, FACOS, FRCS, who will be joining the newly expanded
Jefferson Healthcare Orthopedic Clinic now located on the second floor of the Emergency and Specialty Services building in Port Townsend.
Dr. Eissmann will present an orthopedic health education seminar on
degenerative joint pain and joint replacements on Wednesday, November 2, 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., at the Bay Club in Port Ludlow.....
- October 2016
- Experts Recommend Exercise for the Brain From Elizabeth Agnvall, published in the 2016 AARP Newsletter (p.29)
- JHC Foundation Receives Grant for a Nuclear Medicine Gamma Camera (p.31)
The nuclear gamma camera is a medical imaging device that can detect a long list of health issues. It is used to identify
many types of cancers, heart disease, gastrointestinal, endocrine, neurological disorders, and other abnormalities within the body.
It is also used to evaluate cardiomyopathy and identify possible damage to the heart from chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
This life-saving tool will help physicians get medical information that may otherwise be unavailable
and identify early stages of diseases which then can be treated sooner, when a more successful outcome is possible.
- Dr. Jacqueline Osland Joins Jefferson Healthcare (p.33)
- September 2016
- Jefferson Healthcare
Announces Clinic Changes (p.33)
Clinic operations of the Madrona and Walk-In and
Internal Medicine Clinics are consolidating. Dr. Stephen
Erickson and his medical team move across the street to
the Walk-In and Internal Medicine Clinic at 934 Sheridan
Street and begin seeing patients on August 29. With
its larger exam rooms, waiting area, and parking, the
clinic will facilitate expanding primary care services and
improve patient care [.....]
- New Orthopedic
Surgeon Joins JHC (p.34)
John D. Osland, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon, specializing
in knee and shoulder arthroscopy, knee replacements,
and sports medicine, will lead the Jefferson Healthcare
Orthopedic Clinic as it transitions to a new team of three
surgeons and two physician assistants and moves into its
new offices. Dr. Osland began seeing patients in late July.
He will lead a growing team of practitioners.[.....]
- Jefferson Healthcare
Bereavement Programs (p.34)
- August 2016
- InHealth Image to Provide
Aesthetic Medicine (p.12)
- Comprehensive Plan
Is Meeting Topic (p. 14)
[....] Speakers opined that the county should focus on
senior care services, ....
- Back to School:
Immunization Clinics Available (p.14)
- PLA REPORT at PLVC Meeting (p.27)
The foundation for the
Jefferson Health Care Medical Clinic is under construction.
Floor plans and elevation drawings, provided by
PLA, have been placed at the Beach Club, the Bay Club
and at the store by Larry Nobles, for public viewing.
- Master Aging with Jefferson
Healthcare Program (p.38)
- Jefferson Healthcare Earns
American College of Radiology
- JHC Receives Heart Association
Award for Stroke Care (p.39)
- July 2016
- Free Acupressure Class Offered
- PLA Announces Construction/Sales Progress Port Ludlow Associates (PLA) (p.10)
that building has begun on what will be the new Jefferson Healthcare building at the corner
of Breaker Lane and Paradise Road. At press time the site had been cleared and the foundation poured. The
completion date will depend on the Northwest weather, according to President Diana Smeland.
- Women’s Healthcare Services Expanded (by JHC)(p.34)
- JHC is Accredited to Provide CT Scanning (p.35)
- June 2016
- Retirement living Options by Nicole Frenzl, Contributing Writer (p.5)
- ECHHO Needs a Few Good Drivers (p.10)
As demand increases for transportation services to
medical appointments for local seniors and residents otherwise not provided for,
Ecumenical Christian Helping Hands Organization ECHHO always needs more volunteer drivers.
To meet this expanding need in our community, ECHHO also has a need for office volunteers.
- Jefferson Healthcare Breaks Ground for New Clinic By Beverly Browne, (p.12 with photo)
On May 11 a groundbreaking ceremony was held to herald the beginning of construction for the new, expanded Jefferson Healthcare Clinic
in Port Ludlow. The groundbreaking was preceded by a presentation by CEO Mike Glenn at the Bay Club. Glenn introduced members of his
hospital board and staff and gave an update on their operations. [...]
- PLVC Report (p.26)
Health and Wellness: "The committee is seeking a new chair. The current chair needs to step down due to health issues."
- Jefferson County Food Safety Awards Given (p.38)
- Health, Wellness, and Fitness Expo Date Set (p.39) [June 18, Port Townsend, JHC]
- May 2016
- Planning Can Reduce Falls (p.9) by Brad Martin,
PLFR Chief Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue (PLFR) medics are called to help an increasing number of people who have fallen. The falls are not just related to illness or fainting, but more and more to things that can be controlled. Point in case: take a look at the bottom of your slippers or commonly worn house shoes. If the soles are slick and shiny, that could be the reason you fell down. It’s probably time for a new pair. [....]
- Home Care Cooperative Opens for Seniors ((p.10)
Choosing a caregiver for a parent or even for yourself is one of the most important decisions you’ll make during a certain time of life [...] A group of Jefferson County’s most experienced and loving caregivers have come together to form a new caregiving option: Peninsula Homecare Cooperative ...
- Forum and Groundbreaking To Be Held for New Clinic (p.12)
Jefferson Healthcare invites the community to join Jefferson Healthcare’s CEO Mike Glenn and Hospital Commissioners to a community forum and ground- breaking ceremony for the new Port Ludlow Clinic on Wednesday, May 11 at 12 noon at the Port Ludlow Bay Club on Spinnaker Road. Doors open for the community forum at noon with a presentation by Mike Glenn, CEO. After the conclusion of the community forum, everyone is invited to join ...
- PLA Developer's News (p.34)
We are pleased to announce that groundbreaking on the Jefferson Healthcare Clinic will begin in mid-May. The 4,400 square-foot medical building will be a primary care clinic providing services including pediatrics, family medicine, obstetrics, women’s health, internal medicine, and urgent care.
- Jefferson Healthcare 2016 Support Groups (p.39)
Jefferson Healthcare (JHC) offers free support groups for anyone in our community who needs help, with staff and partners such as the American Cancer Society.
- JHC Physicians and Staff are 2016 Public Health Heroes (p.40)
- April 2016
- Animals Helping People by Barbara Berthiaume, (p.4)
- PlFR Plans Public Safety Day; Offers Safety Tips Chief Brad Martin, Port Ludlow Fire and Rescue, p.10
- JCPH Celebrates National Public Health Week (p.43)
- Seattle Children’s Hospital to Provide Kitsap Neonatal Care (p.43)
- March 2016
- Growing Health Acupuncture Celebrates Fifth Anniversary, by Anna Scofield, L.Ac., MSOM (p.10)
- Medical Equipment loans (p.13)
- Stern Appointed Disaster Preparedness Director (p.26)
- JHC Clinic Groundbreaking Expected (this month) (p.39)
- JCPH Celebrates National Public Health Week (p.40)
- Jefferson Healthcare Offers Aging Mastery Program (p.41)
- February 2016
- JHC Foundation Hosts First Annual WellHearts Luncheon, p.36
The event’s keynote speaker is Dr. Rosemary Peterson, FACC. Dr. Peterson is with Franciscan Heart and Vascular and is a board certified cardiologist
who has a special interest in women’s heart disease, cardiac rehabilitation and general invasive cardiology. Dr. Todd Carlson, of
Jefferson Healthcare Primary Care Clinic and board certified family medicine physician, will be the guest speaker and emcee for the luncheon.
“We want women of our community to know they are in charge of their health.
Through education, awareness, and understanding what their health screening numbers mean, they can make lifestyle changes that will help them live longer and stronger,”
said Judy Tordini, RN, Jefferson Healthcare Cardiology Program Director and Vice President of the Jefferson Healthcare Foundation.
- Harrison Medical Center Recognized for Superior Outcomes, p.37.
Harrison Medical Center, part of CHI Franciscan Health, has been recognized by Healthgrades for clinical excellence in pulmonary,
stroke,gastrointestinal, and critical care, as well as gynecologic and general surgery. Harrison also received 5 star ratings in respiratory failure,
sepsis, colorectal surgeries, gastrointestinal bleed, stroke, total knee replacement, and pneumonia. Healthgrades is the
leading online resource helping consumers make informed medical decisions.
- January 2016
- From the Editor’s Keyboard (Homicide & Violence as Health Issues) by Beverly Browne, Managing Editor, p.4
- New Old Medicine (Concierge Models of Health Care Delivery) by Beverly Browne, Contributing Writer (p.7)
- Medical Equipment Loans (by ECHHO) p.11
- Message from Chief Brad Martin (Airlift Northwest Membership!), p.11
- p.25 & p.32: Report by Diana Smeland, PLA President, on new Port Ludlow Clinic (Ground breaking in early 2016).
- December 2015
- PLVC Report (p.26): Port Ludlow Associates (PLA):
President Diana Smeland ... also said that the company is putting together the final bid for the Jefferson Healthcare Clinic which will be built off Paradise Bay Road in the Village. The details of the project are expected to be finalized by mid-November with ground breaking in 2016. They are trying to save as many of the trees as possible. The building will become a standard for other developments in the center. It will have meeting room space.....
- PLVC Report (Health & Wellness) p.27
- Physician Receives Honorary Degree (p.39)
Molly Hong, MD, FAAFP, a family physician at Jefferson Healthcare Medical and Pediatric Group Clinic, has achieved the Degree of Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
- JHC Home Health Receives HomeCare Elite Award (p.39)
This is the second year in a row that Jefferson Healthcare’s Home Health group has received the award. Now in its ninth year, the organization identifies the top 25 percent of Medicare-certified agencies and highlights the top 100 and top 500 agencies overall. Winners are ranked by an analysis of publicly available performance measures in quality outcomes, best practice implementation, patient experience (Home Health CAHPS®), quality improvement and consistency, and financial performance.
- November 2015
- From The Editor’s Keyboard by Beverly Browne, Managing Editor, p.4
"... Not to leave business out of my list, I was outraged by the recent drug pricing scandal. You probably know which one I am talking about – the price gouging of patients by increasing the price of the long-standing, effective drug Daraprim by the little twit who bought the marketing rights. The increase was 5445 percent. Gee, do you think that's enough? Why not make it a nice round number? ... "
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities by Eline Lybarger, Contributing Writer, p.7
Continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) have existed since the early 1900’s. About 1950 new ones began appearing. Today new ones are popping up almost daily. They have become so popular because the cost of in-home care has skyrocketed to an average of $4,000 per month for assisted care and $10,000 per month for nursing care...."
- "Patient Advocacy in Turbulent Post-Hospital Environments", p.8
The next Village Council Health Forum on Saturday, November 14, from 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. at the Beach Club addresses “Patient Advocacy in Complex and Changing Healthcare Environments.” The emphasis is on being proactive when receiving post-hospital care at a Rehab or Skilled Nursing Facility or at home. Patients ....
- PlVC Wellness Committee Health Resources Available, by Kathleen Traci, Welllness Committee Group Coordinator, p.10
Health information is readily available in Port Ludlow. Access it by making an appointment to discuss a packet of community health resources with PLVC Health and Wellness Committee volunteers.
- Classes at the Jefferson County library Jefferson County Library’s November calendar p.11
Health from A to Z @ the Library series, co-sponsored by Jefferson Healthcare, continues with classes on health issues taught by Jefferson Healthcare staff.
- PLVC Report -- Health and Wellness, p.28
....Jefferson Healthcare CEO Mike Glenn has suggested that this Committee might want to participate in utilizing part of the expanded space in the new Port Ludlow Primary Care Clinic for educational resources and health-related learning activities. Committee would like to discuss this option further with members of PLVC...
- Developer News: Project Updates by Diana Smeland, PLA President (p.36)
the future Jefferson Healthcare building.... The project is moving along smoothly, and we are expecting to break ground in early 2016. The medical facility will be a valuable asset and addition to the Port Ludlow community, providing a variety of much needed medical services to our residents.
- JHC Adds Saturday Service for Insurance Enrollment, p.41
- JHC Emergency and Special Services Building in Phase 2, p.42
- Health Improvement Project Initiated p.42
The Community Health Improvement Plan partnership (CHIP) is an innovative collaboration between Jefferson Healthcare (JHC) and Jefferson County Public Health (JCPH) devoted to identifying the most pressing health priorities for Jefferson County and actions that will lead to improvements. The
- Jefferson Healthcare Offers Free Blood Pressure Checks, p.43
- October 2015
- Message from the Fire Chief (p.24)
Should you want any assistance or guidance in trying to reduce slip and fall hazards, contact the fire station, 360-437-2236, or come in to either Station #31 at 7650 Oak Bay Rd., or Station #33 at 101 South Point Rd. If you'd like to contact me, you can either call the station phone number above, or email me at email@example.com.
- Report from PLVC (p.29)
Interior plans for the new Jefferson Healthcare building on Breaker Lane are done. The exterior design is yet to be completed. There should be a ground breaking by year’s end. The facility will be 4,200 square feet providing 14 stalls for staff parking underneath.
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, by JHC, p.44 (some dates for events)
- September 2015
- Making End of Life Choices, p.7,
by Barbara Berthiaume,
- Active Life Physical Therapy
Celebrates Ten years; Expands
by Michael Haberpointner, DPT
- Jefferson Healthcare's New Clinic, p.20
- Comprehensive Medical Imaging On The West Sound (ad, p.23)
- Jefferson Healthcare Hospital
Auxiliary Awards Scholarships (p.39)
- Jefferson Healthcare Awarded
Level IV Trauma Designation (p.40)
- August 2015
- Advance Planning Seminar (Aug 5) p.17
- Health Classes at
Jefferson County Library, p.19
- Chief Brad Martin: Dangers of Dehydration, p.20
- PLA Monthly Report (Port Ludlow Associates), p.33
"Community: Construction will be starting on the new
Jefferson County Healthcare facility this year. The
proposed site for the facility will be at the corner of
Paradise Bay Road and Breaker Lane. More detailed
information will be available once the construction plans
begin to take shape".
- Harrison Medical Center
Recognized as Fit-Friendly
- Washington Exposes
Medical Prices (p.40)
- Hospital Adds Abortion Services (Jefferson Healthcare) (p.41)
- July 2015
- Health from A to Z at
Jefferson County Library, p.25
In partnership with Jefferson Healthcare (JHC), Jefferson
County Library presents Health from A to Z @ Your
Library, a series of programs taught by medical professionals
at Jefferson County Library. The twice monthly
series began in June and continues through Monday,
November 16 with programs on a variety of health
Monday, July 6 at 6:00 p.m.,
and Monday, July 20 at 6:00 p.m.
- Port Ludlow Village
by Tamra McDearmid, Secretary (p.32)
PLA has signed an agreement with Jefferson Healthcare
for a new clinic in Port Ludlow and is working with a
bank on a construction loan. There will be a groundbreaking
event. The goal is for the clinic to be ready
by late 2016. Plans for determining traffic patterns and
parking are not finalized.
- Jefferson Healthcare Hospice
Expands Grief Support in Quilcene, p.47
- Dr. Judy Gayne Joins
JHC Family Medicine Clinic, Port Townsend, p.48
- Harrison Medical Center
Rates in Patient Safety, (p.49)
Harrison Medical Center (HMC), part of CHI Franciscan
Health, has been recognized for its dedication to patient
safety by being awarded an “A” grade in the Spring 2015
Hospital Safety Score.
- June 2015
- Jefferson Healthcare Starts
Improvement Project, p.39
- InHealth Imaging Earns
ACR MRI Accreditation, p.40
- Jefferson Healthcare Free
Orthopedic Health Seminars
Jefferson Healthcare (June 11 in Port Ludlow) p.40
- May 2015
- KWA Home Care Becomes
Available in Port Ludlow,
by Biada Simonson, Guest writer, (p.12)
- JHC Approves Construction
of New Port Ludlow Clinic
Jefferson Healthcare, (p.13 )
(JHC) CEO Mike Glenn is pleased
to announce that the construction of the new Port Ludlow
clinic will begin in summer 2015. The new 3,500-square
foot clinic will be located on the northern corner in the Port
Ludlow Village retail area.
- Health and Wellness Committee Report (p.29)
- Join the Fun on Regular Walks, p.43
- JHC Receives High Marks in
Annual DNV GL Survey (p.45)
- JHC Announces Spring Hospice
Grief Support Workshops (p.46)
- Jefferson Healthcare Breaks
Ground for Emergency and
Specialty Services Building (p.47)
- April 2015
- Complimentary ECards
by Bev Rothenborg, Editor, p.9
Did you know that by contacting Harrison Hospital or
Jefferson General Hospital on your computer and clicking
on “Cheer Cards” or “ECards,” the hospital will print a
card and deliver it to the patient with no charge to the
- High Incidence Cancer Forum
by Ursel Krumme, Health & Wellness Committee, p.22
A Port Ludlow Village Council (PLVC)-sponsored Spring
Forum on “High Incidence Cancers: Navigating Options
and Resources from Diagnosis to Survivorship,” will be
held Saturday, April 11, 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. in the Bay Club.
- PLVC Report: Health & Wellness Committee: p.27
- JHC Internal Medicine Clinic
Joins Family Medicine Clinic,
by the Physicians and Staff of Jefferson Healthcare, p.40.
- March 2015
- Editor's Keyboard: "So it is with great surprise that I read about the reluctance
of parents to vaccinate and of adults to protect themselves
with this simple measure." p.4
- Ask the Doc: Why is Physical
Fitness so Important?
by the Physicians and Staff of Jefferson Healthcare, p.7
- Bluebill Fall Prevention Program, p.21
- C.E.R.T. Class Scheduled for April, p.23
- PLVC Report, P.28
(The Health & Wellness) committee is working on the spring program; “High-
Incidence Cancers – Navigating Options and Resources
from Diagnosis to Survivorship,” will be held at 1:00 p.m
on April 11, in the Bay Club.
The new health clinic in Port Ludlow is still in the negotiating
stage between PLA, which will provide the land
and building, and Jefferson HealthCare, which will finish
the interior and provide staffing. The organization may be
ready to apply for permits in March.
- JHC 3D Mammography
Service Opens, p.43
- Ehrlich to Serve Both JHC and
Jefferson Mental Health Services, p.44
- JHC HealthFest 2015:
Spring into Action, p.44
Jefferson Healthcare (JHC) will host a free health fair,
“HealthFest 2015: Spring into Action,” on Saturday,
March 28, at the Northwest Maritime Center. p.44
- February 2015
- Dementia Forum DVD Aired, p.20
by Kathleen Traci, Wellness Committee Spokesperson
If you missed the 2014 Dementia Forum presented by
the Port Ludlow Village Council’s Health and Wellness
Committee, you will want to attend the DVD presentation
of the Dementia Forum scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at the
Beach Club on Wednesday, February 4, in the Bayview
Room of the Beach Club.
- Body-Mind Health
Workshops at Beach Club, p.21
- A Message from Chief Brad Martin, p.22 (on Heart Attacks, call 911!)
- New Great Courses Series, p.25, ("Your Best Brain")
Community Enrichment Alliance (CEA) is sponsoring
“Your Best Brain” beginning Wednesday, January 28,
3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- PLVC Report (p.26): "In other developments, PLA is still negotiating with
Jefferson Healthcare to begin building (the new clinic) in the next 30-45
- LMC REPORT: (p.30) "LMC purchased a third elliptical trainer and a third
treadmill in 2014."
- Heart Health
Education Series Begins (p.38) [The major event is Feb 6 (with Dr. David Tinker)
The Feb.6 date is correct. Please check all other dates with Jefferson Healthcare flyer!!]
- Jefferson Healthcare
Welcomes Dr. Kurt Norman (p.39)
- Jefferson County Public
Health Offers HPV Vaccines (p.39)
- Alzheimer Association
Provides Caregiver Support (p.39)
- Get convenient and expanded care at our Port Ludlow Clinic. (inside Cover)
- January 2015
Photo: Peggy Flentie
- Jefferson Healthcare
Commits to New Clinic in Ludlow
by Beverly Browne, Managing Editor, Reporter (p.16)
Jefferson Healthcare "unveiled
plans for a larger ... clinic in Port Ludlow...
The new clinic will be 3,500 square feet, or approximately
triple the size of the current facility....
JHC has negotiated with Port Ludlow Associates to find
a site... will be located adjacent to the
Wellness Center off Paradise Bay Road. Construction will
start in the first quarter of 2015... is expected to
take nine months to complete."
- Active Life Physical Therapy (p.21)
Please join us on
Wednesday, January 14
from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
at the Bay Club for an
exciting presentation on the
many benefits of exercise.
- Stroke Forum Video Showing (p.21)
Port Ludlow Village Council’s (PLVC) Health and
Wellness Committee invites you to a small-group
showing of the video of the stroke forum offered in May
2014. If you missed it, here is your chance to learn how to
help save your own or your loved ones’ life.
The small group viewing is scheduled for Wednesday,
January 7, from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Bay Club
- Free Zumba Introduction (p.21)
- Having the Last Word — A Time
for End of Life Planning
by Karen Griffith, Guest Writer AND Hospice Foundation
Hosts Life Planning Workshop (p.38)
- JHC Hospice Drop-in Grief
Support Date Change (p.39)
- Health Advisory: Flooding (p.39)
- Jefferson Healthcare
Wellness Center Opens (in Port Townsend) (p.39)